- How To Cook
- 1 14-pound Honeysuckle White®® Fresh or Frozen Whole Turkey, thawed
- 2 cups turkey stock
- For the seasoning
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened and cut into 6 pieces
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 orange, zest and juice divided
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- For the stuffing
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 orange, quartered
- Images & recipe courtesy of Isabel Eats’
Prepare the seasoning
1. Add softened butter, chipotle peppers, chopped rosemary leaves, salt, black pepper, oregano, orange zest, lime zest, and minced garlic in a food processor. Pulse until mixture comes together and resembles a paste.
Prepare the turkey
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Remove thawed turkey from the packaging and take out the turkey neck and bag of giblets stuffed inside. Discard or keep to use in a different recipe.
2. Pat turkey dry with a handful of paper towels or a large kitchen towel until completely dry. Place turkey on a baking sheet and set aside.
3. Fill the bottom of the roasting pan with the juice of the zested orange, the juiced orange quarters and 2 cups of turkey stock.
4. Fill the turkey cavity with the onion halves, the sprig of rosemary and the orange quarters. Tie the turkey legs together with kitchen twine to help the turkey cook evenly and for a beautiful presentation.
5. Carefully push your fingers under the skin of the turkey breast all the way to the back of the turkey to help separate the skin. Be careful not to tear the skin.
6. Spread half of the compound butter under the skin and the remaining half all over the outside of the turkey. Secure the edges of the skin with some toothpicks so it doesn’t ride up completely while the bird is roasting.
Roast the turkey
1. Place turkey breast side up in the roasting pan and insert an in-oven meat thermometer deep inside the breast of the bird. Make sure it’s not touching a bone. Set the in-oven meat thermometer temperature to 165°F. Place the turkey in the preheated oven and roast for 25 minutes to crisp the skin.
2. Remove turkey from oven, lower the heat to 350°F, loosely cover the breast with a tent of aluminum foil and return to the oven.
3. Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the temperature of the meat reaches 165°F.
4. Carefully remove from oven and check the temperature of the bird in different places to make sure everything is at least 170°F. If there are spots that are under, leave the thermometer in that spot and return it to the oven to roast until it reaches 170°F.
5. Carefully transfer the turkey to large cutting board and rest for 30 minutes. Slice and serve.